Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Grandparents Day Special Tribute to Amelia A. Roach (1937 - 2008) Pt. 1 of 3


Mom Mom
Amelia Anne Roach: a name that could put a smile on every face. She filled several roles in her lifetime: prayer partner, mother, sister, daughter, aunt, confidante, and friend. To us, she is our grandmother; she’s our Mom Mom. Already we miss her for being one of the centerpieces in our lives thus far, and it’s hard to imagine reaching other milestones in life without being able to turn and see her smiling her approval and telling us, “I knew you could do it.” As a matter of fact, it’s hard to imagine a holiday where she and Aunt Carol aren’t retelling all of the embarrassing stories from our childhoods in front of whoever’s there, detail for detail, like they happened yesterday. And who could forget her signature way of asking us to run an errand for her: “Don’t you wanna…?” Mom Mom brought laughter into our lives, music, love; she even helped us be introduced to Christ. We each have our own reasons for loving and remembering Mom Mom, and in her honor, we’d like to share some with you now.


 Krystina Seriki:
 My favorite memory of my lovely grandmother is how whenever she was introduced to people for the first time they will always tell her how beautiful of a woman she was. One thing I will always remember of my grandmother that she was a beautiful woman and had the smoothest skin a person could have. One thing I learn from my grandmother was to always carry myself as a well respected, strong black woman as she did. 


Desiree Roach:
I learned a great deal from my grandmother but the lesson that I remember the most is her teaching me about my culture. I was raised with my mother and because I am mixed, I didn’t have many opportunities to explore my African American culture. When I would visit my grandmother on school vacations or special occasions, she would always have pieces of information pertaining to where I came from and what I was truly made of, and for that I am forever thankful. In the end I learned that I was a piece of her which is all I needed to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment