Friday, October 1, 2010

Not Forgotten: Tribute to Four People in My Life Who Have Been Lost to Breast Cancer


Carolyn Hodges Hickman (1966 - 1998), Howard University graduate and Nurse
     Carolyn was a beautiful young lady whom I met through one of my linesisters (a sorority sister that pledged with me). She was also a member of my church. Her faith made an indelible and unforgettable impression on my life. Carolyn was a daughter, sister, and wife.

Carolyn's life inspired me and FOR THIS CAUSE, Inc. to partner with Safeway Food Stores (Eastern Region) in 2003 to establish a free breast cancer screening program in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area for young women under 40 years old who did not have adequate insurance coverage.  Through the partnership grant, over 100 women were enabled to receive a free mammogram.



Kayla Parker Tolbert
Kayla Parker (1971 - 2007), Songwriter, Producer, Singer, and Gospel Artist
Although I did not personally know Kayla Parker, she inspired me as a songwriter. "He's Concerned About You", a song written by Kayla and recorded by Cece Winans and Vanessa R. Williams, is a blessing to me every time I hear it.  She was the wife of  David E. Tolbert.

For more information on Kayla, see this link:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayla_Parker

To see a clip of Kayla performing, see this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lvCIvY1kSo



Cheryl Albert Reed
Cheryl Albert Reed (1967 - 2009), Howard University graduate, Entrepreneur,  and Delta Sigma Theta Soror
     I had the pleasure of meeting Cheryl as a pledgee for Delta Sigma Theta at Howard University in 1988.  She was such a sweet person with a lively spirit and wonderful smile.  The last time I saw Cheryl was at her home in Atlanta in 2006.  Although she was in treatment for the disease, she was hosting a Baby Shower for one of my linesisters. During my visit to her home, we got to spend a little time together when she shared with me some of the creative things she was working on.  Cheryl was a daughter, soror, wife, and mother. Such a wonderful woman, Cheryl you are not forgotten. 

Cheryl was featured in a CNN story by Dr. Sanjay Gupta on Triple Negative Breast Cancer.  For more information, see the link below:
http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/health/2008/05/28/gupta.triple.negative.breast.cancer.cnn
  

Jacqueline P. Harrison, Washington, D.C. resident and Breast Cancer volunteer
     I met Jacqueline in 2002 during my work as the Executive Director of FOR THIS CAUSE, Inc., a non-profit organization I founded to raise awareness about the breast cancer mortality and high incidence rates among young African American women under 40 years old in Washington, D.C.  Although Jacqueline was over 40 and fighting the disease at the time, she volunteered with my young unknown organization and worked very hard to get the word out about our annual community event.  She had a wonderful spirit and an illuminating smile.  I so was touched by her generous, giving and positive spirit that the organization named an award in her honor.  Jacqueline was also a mother.

 
Dedication to Breast Cancer Survivors and the memory of those who have succumbed: 
 
"He's Concerned About You"
written by Kayla Parker and performed by CeCe Winans


Feel free to give a shout out (name) to a person who you lost to breast cancer, but you have not forgotten how they impacted your life.

[Special thanks to Renee Pinkston Arnold, Christol L. Powell and Wendy Bowser Smith for their contributions to this Tribute.]

4 comments:

Nona said...

Shout out to the memory of Minnie Riperton, "Lovin You". I was touched by your gift and saddened by your loss at such a young age.

Unknown said...

wow! Nona this is great!!! You write with such emotions and clarity. I never mastered Aunt Bettie command of the language:)

"Anyone who reads what you have posted will be touched deeply. As a doctor I can tell you how amazing it is to see the resilience in some people who suffer from an almost incurable disease".

B Thompson MD

Melody Johnson Morales, PhD (HU c/o 1991) said...

Wow, was thinking about Cheryl today and googled her name so I could see her smile. It wasn't by accident that I found your page, Nona. Thanks so much for this tribute to the women who have touched so many lives.

Today I am also remembering Barbara Sugland Russell, co-founder and Executive Director of the Center for Applied Research and Technical Assistance (CARTA), brilliant scholar, and devoted wife, mother, sister, and friend. To honor her legacy, the Dr. Barbara Sugland Foundation was created. Please see www.drbsf.org for more information.

Nona said...

Thanks for your comment and feedback, Melody. I will definitely read up on Dr. Russell. Based on your description, she was a wonderful woman who accomplished and contributed much. Nona (HU, BBA'87)

Post a Comment