Wednesday, March 3, 2010

March is Women's History Month--Women and Leadership--Part 1

While reading the online edition of the Wall Street Journal, I ran across two articles that I'm going to share below.  I found them to be very interesting.  After reading the articles, I found myself questioning the reasons why women engaged in this behavior and how we can change the thinking that generates the behavior.
--Nona  

Peggy Klaus of the NY Times offered this poignant comment in her article:

Despite all the money spent annually on women’s leadership conferences and professional development programs, you’d be hard-pressed to find a workshop on women mistreating one another at work. Don’t get me wrong: I’m a huge proponent of women’s leadership programs. But teaching career skills is not enough if we ignore one of the most important reasons for holding these events in the first place: learning to value one another so we can all get ahead.

Ms. Klaus went on to say:

If we really want to clear one of the last remaining hurdles to gender parity and career success, let’s start treating one another not worse or better, but simply as well as we already treat the guys — or better yet, the way we want our nieces, daughters, granddaughters and sisters to be treated.

Preoccupations: A Sisterhood of Workplace Infighting  by Peggy Klaus

The Juggle: When Women Derail Other Women in the Office by Rachel Emma Silverman
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I say, AMEN!  
Do you have any thoughts on the subject?

No comments:

Post a Comment